Posted on: January 14, 2010 11:40 am
Edited on: January 14, 2010 11:40 am
By Chris Tomasson, NBA FanHouse : In an interview with FanHouse before Wednesday's game at Denver, Dwight Howard was asked if there's any chance he will take part in next month's event in Dallas. Howard said last month he didn't expect to compete.
"I don't think they're going to announce my name (as a participant)," he said.
Asked if he was sure about that, Howard said, "Yeah."
The NBA did announce Wednesday that TNT will reveal two dunkers Thursday night. The two will battle in a inaugural one-round competition at halftime of the Feb. 12 Rookie Challenge. Fans will then vote by text message or on NBA.com for which one will advance to the Feb. 13 main event.
Monday's announcement will reveal the three dunkers assured of being in the main contest. According to Howard, who has been talking with LeBron James, don't hold your breath waiting for the participation of Cleveland's superstar, who vowed last year to dunk for the first time but since has been wavering.
"Me and him are talking," Howard said. "I don't know if he wants to do it. We do a lot of dunking during the season so those dunk contests take a lot out of you ... I would love to see him get in one. But I doubt he does. I don't think he's going to do it."
Posted on: December 4, 2009 12:04 pm
Edited on: December 4, 2009 3:51 pm
By Brian Schmitz, Orlando Sentinel: Don't get Marcin Gortat wrong: He wants more than anything to help the Orlando Magic win a title this season as Dwight Howard's back-up.
But he told the Sentinel on Thursday that he eventually wants to move out of Howard's immense shadow.
"I love the organization, but I'm not going to stay here being a back-up player and playing five minutes a game," Gortat said. "I hope people understand that. I know I can have a bigger role on another team."
Except that this season he just started a new five-year contract with the Magic. Only a trade can provide a bigger role on another team.
Perhaps Gortat's frustration should not come as a surprise. He was less than enthused when the Magic matched the Dallas Mavericks' offer of five years, $34-million this past summer for the restricted free agent from Poland. He likely would have been the Mavs' starting center.
Posted on: November 18, 2009 4:44 pm
Edited on: November 18, 2009 4:49 pm
By Brian Schmitz, Orlando Sentinel Staff Writer: Allen Iverson and all his baggage are available after officially parting ways Monday with the Memphis Grizzlies. A big believer in team chemistry, Smith, surprisingly, didn't reject the notion out of hand when asked about the 10-time all-star. But he's a long shot at best.
"It's hard to say. You have to evaluate it and like everything else, it has to make sense for your team," Smith said. "I just got the news [on Nelson] a few hours ago, so I can't rule out anything yet. You have to take a step back. That's how we do things." Asked specifically about Iverson, Smith said, "He's still out there, isn't he? I think he'll be on somebody's roster before the year is over."
Iverson signed with Memphis this summer after leaving the Detroit Pistons in a huff, but left the Grizzlies for personal reasons Nov. 7, appearing in just three games. The Grizzlies ended their one-year contract with Iverson, making him an unrestricted free agent.
Iverson's agent, Leon Rose, did not immediately return a call from the Sentinel late Tuesday afternoon. "I'm not in a hurry to do anything. We will do our due diligence," Smith said. "We have two point guards and another who will be out four to six weeks."
Smith said things might be different if Nelson were sidelined for the season -- like he was last February when he sustained a regular-season-ending shoulder injury. The Magic acquired Rafer Alston from the Houston Rockets after Nelson was hurt.
"If he were out for a longer period it might cause you to do other things," Smith said.